The new lead reality is that customers don’t know what they want except they would like …
- A free assessment
- Free consulting to help figure out what they want
- Free consulting to test the solution being considered
- Free workflow or business process planning or suggestions
- Free recommendations about alternative options
- Free demo
- Absolutely no obligation to purchase or to communicate ever again with the consultant once a free proposal has been delivered
My observation is that virtually all new ERP leads are in verticals where there is a highly specialized unique need – often unmatched by any type of realistic budget or any true understanding of the complexity of the ERP required to solve the business problem(s).
And like lemings off a cliff there’s a material number of partners who chase these leads – right off the cliff.